Mexico 1744-Mo MF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 31035 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $4,230. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold 2 Escudos 1744/2 Mo-MF AU55 NGC, Mexico City mint, A lustrous and well struck coin, free from distracting handling marks, with light friction evidence on the higher points. Rare and desirable in this attractive preservation. The cataloguer has yet to see a specimen of the 1744/3 overdate listed by Calico as his number 370, which could well be referring to the present 1744/2 overdate instead. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." This rare type is listed for 1732-47.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9769, KM 124, Cal-370 (unlisted overdate), Fr-10.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.