Mexico 1743-Mo MF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 31034 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $5,640. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold 2 Escudos 1743/2 Mo-MF AU58 NGC, Mexico City mint. A gorgeous coin, bordering on Uncirculated, with highly lustrous surfaces and very mild high-point friction. The clear overdate is unlisted in both Calico and KM and is probably rarer than the plain date. The date alone is rare and was missing from Norweb, Gerber and Eliasberg. Another superb type coin for this elusive series, virtually unobtainable in this quality. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." This rare type is listed for 1732-47.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9765, KM 124, Cal-369 (unlisted overdate), Fr-10.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.