Mexico 1741-Mo MF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31052 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $4,465. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold 4 Escudos 1741 Mo-MF AU50 NGC, Mexico City mint, KM 135. A sharply detailed and considerably lustrous coin - as expected for the designation - with two small areas of planchet roughness to the right of the bust on the obverse mentioned for accuracy purposes and the usual handling marks as this grade level. Overall, a most pleasing representative of this elusive series, very rare and desirable in this engaging preservation. The specialist will also undoubtedly rate this a better date, noting that it was missing in the Norweb and Gerber holdings and that Burzio could not trace any offerings of it, while the Eliasberg example was a cleaned VF coin. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." This rare type is listed for 1732-47.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9858, KM 135, Cal-247, Fr-9.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.