Mexico 1733-Mo MF real
This 1733 one real from the Mexico City mint is an example of the early design for pillar fractionals, where the obverse legend surrounds the periphery. In addition, this type displays the Mo mintmark rather than MX, which is less common for the year. Gilboy lists this variety as very rare. This specimen was lot 447 in Stack's Bowers Winter 2014 Baltimore sale, where it sold for $411. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Real, 1733/2-MoMF. Philip V (1700-46). NGC FINE-12. Overdate unlisted in KM and Calico. From the David Gray Collection. Ex: Richard Long Sale #88 Lot #272 December 20, 1999."
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.33 grams, 0.917 fine silver, 0.099 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8498, cf.Cal-type-262#1595; Gilboy M-1-5a, KM 75.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Stack's Bowers Galleries, The Winter 2014 Baltimore Auction, Baltimore, MD: Stack's Bowers, 2014.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1732 8 reales
- 1733-Mo ½ real cob
- 1733-Mo ½ real
- 1733-MX MF real
- 1733-MX F real
- Mexico 1733-Mo MF 4 reales
- Mexico 1733-MX MF 4 reales
- 1733 8 reales klippe
- Mexico 1733-Mo MF 8 reales
- Mexico 1733-MX F 8 reales
- Mexico 1733-Mo F escudo
- 1733 4 escudos
- 1733 8 escudos
- 1734 1 real
- Coins and currency dated 1733
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771