Mexico 1733-Mo MF 8 reales
This is one of a series struck 1732-47 in Mexico City during the reign of Philip V (1700-46). All 1733's are scarce but this variety, with the single letter assayer "F", is very rare. Most surviving specimens are sea salvaged and heavily corroded. The first specimen was lot 466 in Ponterio sale 135. Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
The second specimen was lot 1004 in Goldberg sale 46 (Beverly Hills, May 2008), where it sold for $33,000. The catalog description noted, "Mexico. 8 Reales, 1733 Mo-MF. 27.02 grams. Philip V, 1700-1746. Pillar coinage, with smaller crown over globes. Crowned Bourbon arms. Reverse: Crowned globes flanked by crowned and bannered pillars, over water. Especially bold strike. Brilliant proof-like fields, with lustrous devices. With superb smoky toning, resplendent with iridescent colors of blues, greens, magentas, violets, and deep red-golds. This is the finest known small crown type. NGC graded MS-65."
Specification: 27.07 grams, .917 fine silver, .798 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Eliz-3; WR-7; KM 103.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- 1732 8 reales
- 1733-Mo 4 reales
- 1733-MX 4 reales
- 1733-MX 8 reales
- 1733-Mo 8 reales klippe
- 1733-Mo F 8 reales
- 1733/2 4 escudos
- 1733 2 escudos
- 1733 8 escudos
- 1737 4 reales
- 1737 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1733
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771