Mexico 1733-Mo MF 4 reales
This is one of a series struck 1732-47 during the reign of Philip V (1700-46). The regular issue for this date is considered by Gilboy to be very rare. The example shown is a 1733/2 overdate, which lists as extremely rare (4-10 pieces known). There is another major variety of this date with the MX mintmark (see 1733-MX MF 4 reales).
The 4 reales is the scarcest colonial denomination although all dates are available except for the very rare 1732. Harris lists the Ferdinand VI pillar four reales in order of abundance: Mexico, Guatemala, Lima (scarce). Specimens in high grade are very rare.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine silver, 0.399 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9073, Gilboy M-4-4a, KM 95.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1733-Mo ½ real cob
- 1733-Mo ½ real
- 1733-MX ½ real
- 1733-MX real
- Mexico 1733-Mo F 4 reales
- 1733-MX 4 reales
- 1733-Mo 8 reales klippe
- 1733-Mo MF 8 reales
- 1733-Mo F 8 reales
- 1733-MX 8 reales
- 1733 escudo
- 1733 4 escudos
- 1733 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1733
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822