Mexico 1733-Mo F 8 escudos
This specimen is among the more celebrated rarities of Mexican numismatics, being the finest known of a rare date of a scarce type, as well as being a large glamorous gold coin. The 1733MoF 8 escudos, listed only in the SCWC as "rare", was one of a series struck 1732-47 during the reign of Philip V (1700-1746). It superseded the gold cobs previously minted. Later dates are not so rare but will still run several thousand dollars at auction.This specimen was lot 3086 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $9,775. The catalog description noted,
"1733 F 8 escudos. Mexico City mint. AU-55 (NGC). Types as above. Attractive medium gold with orange toning at the peripheries, scattered marks, diagonal scratch across the 7 in the date, some tiny edge nicks above Felipe's bust at the A in HISPAN and above the D of IND. A rare issue, the second of the milled onzas, unpriced in KM and called 'very rare' in Calico. Gerber owned a specimen of this date, though this one appears more pleasing. Good original eye appeal, sharp detail, a splendid example in all regards. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 grams, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 27.00 grams, 36.60 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10030, KM 148, Fr-8, Calico Onza-422.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.