Mexico 1733-Mo F 1/2 real KM-24a
This specimen was lot 4069 in Stack's-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $158.63. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 1/2 Real, 1733-MoF. Philip V (1700-46). NGC Good Details--Environmental Damage. RARE date. Nice four digit date. Some evidence of environmental damage. Much nicer looking than the assigned grade. From the David Gray Collection. Purchased from Daniel Frank Sedwick January 29, 2002." This specimen is a silver cob half real struck at Mexico City several years before the conversion to milled coinage. Specimens with clear dates are unusual. This type is separated from KM 24, struck 1701-28, by its lower fineness; the earlier issues were .931 fine silver. Milled half reales exist for this date but are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.69 grams, .917 fine silver, .050 troy oz ASW, this specimen 1.50 gms.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8236, KM-24a; Cal-Type-287#1848.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- 1730 ½ real cob
- 1731 2 reales cob
- 1733-Mo ½ real
- 1733-MX MF real
- 1733-MX F real
- Mexico 1733-Mo MF 4 reales
- Mexico 1733-MX MF 4 reales
- 1733 8 reales klippe
- Mexico 1733-Mo MF 8 reales
- Mexico 1733-MX F 8 reales
- Mexico 1733-Mo F escudo
- 1733 4 escudos
- 1733 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1733
- return to Mexican hammered and cob coinage, 1536-1734