Mexico 1733-MX MF real
This 1733 one real from the Mexico City mint is an example of the first design for pillar fractionals, where the obverse legend surrounds the periphery. In addition, the year 1733 saw the use of two types of mintmarks. On the variety shown, it is represented by the letters MX, rather than M topped by a small o. In no other year was MX used at that mint. The obverse shield and legend was changed in 1742 to allow the crown to extend to the rim (see the 1742 1 real). Gilboy lists this variety as very rare. The first specimen shown was sold in October 2009 by Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, and the photo is courtesy of that auction.
The second specimen was lot 6105 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $690. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Real, 1733-MX-MF. Six-Petalled rosettes as stops. VERY SCARCE. VERY GOOD."
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 grams, .917 fine silver, .099 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8497, Gilboy M-1-4a, KM 75.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.