Mexico 1733-MX F 8 reales
"Mexico. 8 Reales, 1733 MX-F. Philip V, 1700-1746. Pillar Coinage. Crowned Bourbon arms. Reverse: Crowned globes flanked by crowned and bannered pillars, over water. Splendid crisp, full strike. Softly lustrous, with handsome medium gray toning, tending to iridescent blues, russets, and golds. Extremely Rare - the 'MX' mintmark is rarest of the 1733 pillars. NGC graded MS-63. The Bourbon kings ruled France from the time of Henry IV in 1589, until the French Revolution in 1792. Philip V, a Bourbon and grandson of king Louis XIV, was offered the Spanish throne. After a fourteen year war, Philip could rule Spain, but he and his heirs had to renounce the French crown. Thus the Bourbon arms on the Pillar Dollars."The second specimen was lot 21153 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $14,400. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1733-MXF. Philip V (1700-46). NGC EF-45. VERY RARE. Large crown, rosette above and below assayers letter. Well struck with nice definition in the devices showing the minute details of the globes and other aspects of the design features. Lovely slate grey tone with iridescent hues of blue and gold. Quite a handsome problem free example and sure to excite even the most advanced collector."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 grams, .917 fine silver, the first specimen 26.65 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9362, Eliz-5; WR-7; KM-103; Cal-Type 145#772; Gil-M-8-3a; FC-4b.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- 1732 8 reales
- 1733-Mo 4 reales
- 1733-MX 4 reales
- 1733-Mo 8 reales klippe
- 1733-Mo MF 8 reales
- 1733-Mo F 8 reales
- 1733/2 4 escudos
- 1733 8 escudos
- 1737 4 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1733
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771