Mexico 1732-Mo F escudo
This specimen was lot 31001 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $25,850. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold Escudo 1732 Mo-F MS61 NGC, Mexico City mint, Cal-unl. ("we do not list the escudo of the date 1732 with and without the assayer initial F since we consider their existence doubtful"). Brilliant Mint State with a firm strike, essentially full mint luster and a few scattered contact marks preventing a higher designation. A truly superb example of this important rarity, the finest of only 4 pieces known to the cataloguer - including the impounded specimen in the Banco de Mexico collection and the only currently certified piece by NGC. Extremely rare in this enchanting quality, a little jewel worthy of the strongest bidding attention and a rare opportunity to acquire an example of this fabled rarity. The last offering noted by the cataloguer was lot 575 in Ponterio's 3/1992 auction, a F-VF piece. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the only one showing the bust of Philip V, was struck 1732-47. The years 1732-33 are much scarcer than the rest.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .100 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9570, Fr-11, KM 113.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.