Mexico 1732-Mo F 2 escudos
"Philip V gold 2 Escudos 1732 Mo-F AU53 NGC, Mexico city mint, Attractive for the designation with partially lustrous fields, sharply rendered details and few noticeable surface contact marks. A very rare date for the type, the only denomination with the 1732 date missing in the Banco de Mexico collection. Currently the finer of two pieces certified by NGC, and the finest seen of the date by the cataloguer, among three or four confirmed examples, as follows:All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the only one showing the bust of Philip V, was struck 1732-47. The years 1732-33 are much scarcer than the rest but none are common.
-The present coin.
-Another specimen certified XF45 by NGC. Mention should be made of the fact that the present specimen was graded XF45 by NGC at the time of the Eliasberg sale, so that the two specimens currently listed in NGC's census could possibly refer to a single coin.- The Cayon plate coin (Cayon et al., "Las Monedas Espanolas", page 974), which is also the same specimen depicted as a pencil rubbing in Calico (Calico tipo 87). Plated as No. 1327 in the work "Catalogo de la coleccion numismatica Emilio Carles Tolra" (Barcelona, 1936).
-Another example in a private collection.
A well-pedigreed coin and a suiting companion to the other 1732-dated coins in the present group, extremely desirable in this fine preservation and also bound to elicit strong interest. Ex. Eliasberg Collection (ANR 4/2005, lot 3085 for $11,500), From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.76 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9724, Fr-10, KM 124, Cal-356.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.