Mexico 1713-Mo J 4 reales
This specimen was lot 343 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 26 (Winter Park, FL, November 2019), where it sold for $684.25. The catalog description noted, "Mexico City, Mexico, cob 4 reales, 1713/2/1J, unique, ex-1715 Fleet. Very full and bold date with clear 3/2/1 overdate (the only example we can trace), full oMJ, most of cross (off-center), minimal surface corrosion. From the 1715 Fleet, pedigreed to our Auction #13, with original lot-tag #704. Auction lot-tag personally signed by John Pullin. The John Pullin Collection of Dated Mexican Cobs." The silver cobs were debased from .931 fine to .917 fine in 1728. They are not rare but very scarce with legible dates.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 12.66 g.
Catalog reference: S-M22; KM-40 (unlisted date); CT-unlisted, Cayón-8979.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.