Mexico 1711-MXo J 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 8 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 26 (Winter Park, FL, November 2019), where it sold for $4,581.50. The catalog description noted, "Mexico City, Mexico, cob 2 escudos, (17)11J, NGC MS 64, finest known in NGC census, ex-1715 Fleet (designated on special label), ex-Tricentennial Hoard, ex-John Pullin (stated on label). Rather scarce with discernible date (bottom of 11 visible), and in enviably high grade (lustrous and choice), in fact one of only two entries in the NGC census, with 100% full and well-detailed shield and (slightly off-center) cross plus most of crown, desirably pedigreed to the discoveries made in 2015, exactly 300 years after the sinking. From the 1715 Fleet (Corrigans site), with original Queens Jewels LLC photo-certificate #79286 (Tricentennial Hoard). Auction lot-tag personally signed by John Pullin." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type is listed for 1702-12. Most specimens lack dates. Note the "MXo" mintmark used only on the gold of this period.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 6.72 g.
Catalog reference: S-M30; KM-53.1; CT-unlisted, Cayón-9658.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.