Mexico 1707-MXo J 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31331 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $31,200. The catalog description noted, "1707 MXo-J Philip V 4 Escudos. The Only Confirmed Example! Philip V gold Cob 4 Escudos 1707 MXo-J AU58 NGC, Mexico City mint. Extremely rare, and presumed unique in this denomination and date combination, with the first three digits of the date being fully visible on the flan, while the forth and final digit is partial but determinable, with the stem of the '7' on flan and whispers of the flag to its left. Boldly struck elsewhere as well, with excellent definition throughout the mintmark, assayer initial and partial shield and only slight doubling within the reverse cross motif. Minimal marks are seen and no wear is visible on the highpoints. An obvious recovery coin from the 1715 Plate Fleet, with a sparkling semi-matte texture over the tapered portion of the flan that is typical of many survivors. For the dedicated Mexican specialist and the treasure collector alike, a coin that sits at the highest apex of numismatic importance. Ex. 1715 Plate Fleet; Mel Fisher Collection (Cert Tag# BF-9624 [not included with lot]) Selections from the Isaac Rudman Numismatic Cabinet." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type is listed for 1701-20. Most specimens lack dates.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW, this specimen 30 mm diameter, 13.33 g.
Catalog reference: Cayón-unlisted, KM 55.1 (Unlisted Date), Cal-Unlisted (cf. Type 84 for 2 escudos of same design).
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.