Mexico 1703-Mo L 8 reales
This specimen was lot 317 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 26 (Winter Park, FL, November 2019), where it sold for $386.75. The catalog description noted, "Mexico City, Mexico, cob 8 reales, 1703L, rare. Full date and oML, most of shield, well-centered cross, toned Fine (low contrast). Pedigreed to the Ponterio auction of February 1993, with original lot-tag #1552. Auction lot-tag personally signed by John Pullin. The John Pullin Collection of Dated Mexican Cobs." The silver cobs were debased from .931 fine to .917 fine in 1728.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 26.56 g.
Catalog reference: S-M21a; KM-47; CT-733, Cayón-9177.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.