Mexico 1701-Mo L 8 reales
"Mexico City, Mexico, cob 8 reales, (1)701(L), very rare, ex-1715 Fleet, ex-Christensen (plated), ex-Kent Ponterio, Calbeto Plate Coin. Unlike the previous two lots, several examples of this date are known (notably missing in the State of Florida collection, however), but this is by far the most famous, its bold full date (except for the first digit) and clear Habsburg crown and shield (posthumous Charles II) qualifying it for finest known status, and its typical flatness graced with nice toning and only small areas of the surface corrosion that prove its shipwreck origin, which was perhaps intentionally not mentioned when it was first offered alongside other obvious 1715-Fleet pieces in the 1963 sale by Christensen (who was no doubt already under obligation not to advertise 1715 Fleet, even in the famous "Ubilla-Echevez" sale in 1964). An interesting side note is that Christensen only showed the obverse of this piece in his catalog, and Calbeto used this photo alongside the reverse of some other coin in his 1970 opus. This coin is also memorable for its square shape and almost perfect 45-degree alignment relative to the obverse strike. Pedigreed to the Christensen auction of February 1963 (lot #43, with photo in catalog, believed to be from the 1715 Fleet but not stated as such), also pedigreed to the Kent Ponterio collection (Ponterio auction of January 2011, with original lot-tag #158), and plated on page 221 in Calbeto's Compendium VIII Reales (1970), albeit with incorrect reverse shown. Auction lot-tag personally signed by John Pullin. The John Pullin Collection of Dated Mexican Cobs."The silver cobs were debased from .931 fine to .917 fine in 1728.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 25.81 g.
Catalog reference: S-M21; KM-46 (unlisted date); CT-301, Cayón-9167.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.