Mexico (1556-98)-Mo O 1/2 real
This specimen was lot 31315 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $528. The catalog description noted, "Philip II Cob 1/2 Real ND (1556-98) Mo-O VF25 NGC, Mexico City mint. Mixed silver and deep gray colored and struck with a bold monogram, cross and crown in addition to a clear 'II' ordinal for Philip II in the obverse legend. Choice for the issue. Ex. Mark Bir Collection. Selections from the Isaac Rudman Numismatic Cabinet." This type was not dated and the terms of service of the various assayers ("O" in this case) are still hotly disputed. In 1728, cobs were debased from .931 to .917 fine silver.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.69 grams, .931 fine silver, .101 troy oz ASW, this specimen 20 mm diameter, 1.7 g.
Catalog reference: Cayón-3397, KM 20, Cal-717.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.