Mexico (1543-44)-M A 2 reales
This specimen was lot 22648 in Stack's ANA sale (Denver, August 2017), where it sold for $4. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Carlos & Johanna, Late Series. 2 Reales, ND (1543-44). Assayer A (M-A). NGC VF-35. VERY SCARCE assayer. Struck on a nice round flan with full legends on both sides. Toned." The "Carlos and Johanna" coinage of 1536-55 is complicated and difficult to disentangle as records are sparse and the coins are not dated. The early series of 1536-41 is rare in all denominations. This example is from the later series of 1542-55, which is much more available, but assayer R-M is a scarce combination.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine silver, .199 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.5 gms.
Catalog reference: KM-12, Cayón-3069.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.