Mexico (1542-57)-M G 2 reales
This type was struck during the reign of Charles V and his mother Johanna, for whom he acted as regent. Numerous assayers exist (G, L, O, P, R, S) but researchers have not been able to link them into order or assign dates as to when each held office. Assayer G is not rare but is scarcer than assayer L or O.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine silver, .199 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM0012, Cayón-3074.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- c.1542 4 maravedis
- c.1542-M G ¼ real
- c.1542-Mo G ½ real
- (1542-57)-oMo G ½ real
- c.1542-M G real
- c.1542-L M real
- c.1542-O Mo real
- c.1542-G Mo 2 reales
- c.1542-Mo L 2 reales
- c.1542-Mo O 2 reales
- c.1542-R M 2 reales
- c.1542-S M 2 reales
- c.1542-Mo S 2 reales
- c.1542-Mo G 4 reales
- c.1542-Mo L 4 reales
- c.1542-Mo O 4 reales
- return to Mexican hammered and cob coinage, 1536-1734
- Coins and currency dated 1542