Mexico (1542-55)-Mo G 4 reales
"Mexico. 4 Reales, No Date-M-G (Mexico City). Carlos & Joanna, 1516-1556. Late Coinage (1542-1555); small central design. Crowned arms of Castille and Leon. Reverse: Crowned pillars over waves, motto between; value below. Choice sharp strike, perfectly centered on round flan. Some trivial peripheral weakness. Very fine old collection toning. Scarce this nice. Assayer: Juan Gutierrez. Probable date struck, late 1542-1543, and again 1544-1545. NGC graded MS-61. The care obviously taken in the minting of these coins is most impressive. Hammered sheets of silver were used from which the coin blanks were cut. The coins were then hand struck by placing the blanks between the dies and striking it with a hammer. This produced, round, fuly struck examples. Exceptionally beautiful for the time. Provenance: Ex F.C.C. Boyd Collection."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.67 grams, .931 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 0018; Cayón no. 3103.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- c.1536 3 reales
- c.1538 4 reales
- c.1541 4 reales
- c.1542-M G ¼ real
- c.1542 ½ real
- (1542-57)-oMo G ½ real
- c.1542-M G real
- c.1542 Mo L 4 reales
- (1542-55)-Mo O 4 reales
- (1542-57)-Mo S 4 reales
- (1542-57) 4 reales
- 1682 4 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1542
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to Mexican hammered and cob coinage, 1536-1734