Mexico (1542-55)-L M 4 reales
This specimen was lot 34450 in Heritage sale 3082 (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $588. The catalog description noted, "Mexico: Charles & Johanna "Late Series" 4 Reales ND (1542-1555) L-M AU58 NGC, Mexico City mint. Sharply executed and notably close to Mint State, the fields showcasing thick die polish." The "Carlos and Johanna" coinage of 1536-55 is complicated and difficult to disentangle as records are sparse and the coins are not dated. The early series of 1536-41 is rare in all denominations. Assayer L also issued one and two reales.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .931 fine silver, .399 troy oz ASW, this specimen 13.53 g.
Catalog reference: KM0018, Cal-114, Cayón-3108.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Sam Spiegel, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Online Auction 3082, featuring the Caranett Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.