Mexico (1536-42)-M F real
This specimen was lot 31264 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $1,320. The catalog description noted, "Charles & Johanna "Early Series" Real ND (1536-42) ·M·-·F· XF Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Mexico City mint. Differing from the one die pairing listed in Nesmith (#14), with major variances being the use of pellets instead of annulets above and below the mintmark and assayer initial as well as legends that differ slightly in composition, the punctuation styles being the major difference. Recovered from a shipwreck, this coin displays moderate granularity as a result of prolonged saltwater exposure, with field hairlines from the salvage process. An extreme rarity from this coveted 'F' assayer; possibly unique in this form. Ex. Santo Domingo Shipwreck. Selections from the Isaac Rudman Numismatic Cabinet."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .931 fine silver, .100 troy oz ASW; this specimen 24 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM0007, Cal-138, Nesmith-Unlisted, Cayón-3037.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.