Malta 1972 50 pounds
This specimen was lot 6902 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $1,061.88. The catalog description noted, "MALTA. 50 Pounds, 1972. NGC Unc Details--Spot Removals. Large size gold piece featuring a statue of Neptune. A few pale copper spots which may account for the assigned details designation but otherwise the surfaces are glowing with golden luster." This was the only issue of this denomination in this size. The next fifty pound issue was only 15 g.
Recorded mintage: 16,000.
Specification: 30 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-48; KM-18.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- Order of Malta 1966 10 scudi
- 1972 5 mils
- 1972 10 cents
- 1972 50 cents
- 1972 gold 5 pounds
- 1974 50 pounds
- 1975 25 cents
- 1976 5 cents
- 1977 cent
- 1977 2 cents
- 1981 5 pounds, UNICEF
- 1982 2 mils, 10th anniversary of decimalization
- 1982 3 mils, 10th anniversary of decimalization
- Malta 1989 100 liri
- Coins and currency dated 1972
- return to coins of Malta