Italy 1933-R 50 lire
"ITALIEN, Königreich, Vittorio Emanuele III. 1900-1946 50 Lire 1933, XI. Rom Vorzüglich. (kingdom of Italy, Victor Emanuel III (1900-46), fifty lire of 1933, year XI, Rome mint, extremely fine.)"This type was struck for the kingdom of Italy 1931-33. The SCWC mentions circulated examples but it is hard to believe anyone would have been so foolish as to spend these. Vittorio Emanuele III succeeded his father Umberto upon the latter's assassination in 1900, but by 1931 he was the helpless tool of the Fascists. The year XI refers not to his regnal year but to the year of Mussolini's dictatorship.
Recorded mintage: 6,463 (the scarcest date).
Specification: 4.39 g, .900 fine gold, this specimen 4.41 g.
Catalog reference: KM 71, Pag. 660. Schl. 111. Fr-34.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Richter, Jürg, Ruedi Kunzmann and Arne Kirsch, Numismatic Coins & Medals, Auction 23, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2015.