Italy 1905-R 20 lire
This specimen was lot 25210 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "Vittorio Emanuele III gold 20 Lire 1905-R, MS63 NGC, fully lustrous and very attractive, faint contact marks in the obverse fields. Scarce type and grade." This rare type is listed for four dates (1902, 1903, 1905, 1908). It was struck to the standard of a French twenty francs d'or. Italian gold coinage was already scanty when World War One terminated it.
Recorded mintage: 8,715 (likely many melted).
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 37.1.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.