Italy 1903-R 100 lire
"ITALY, Königreich, Vittorio Emanuele III. 1900-1946. 100 Lire 1903 R, Rom. Sehr selten. Vorzüglich. Kleiner Randfehler. (kingdom of Italy, Victor Emanuel III, 1900-46, hundred lire of 1903, Rome mint. Very rare, Extremely fine, Minor edge nick.)"This rare type was issued in 1903 and 1905 only. Several countries, including France, Spain, Venezuela and Great Britain, issued large gold coins around the turn of the century to celebrate the permanence of the gold standard, to be shattered a few years later by World War One.
Recorded mintage: 966.
Specification: 32.25 g, .900 fine gold, .933 troy oz AGW, this specimen 32.23 g.
Catalog reference: KM-39; Pagani 38, Schl. 78, Fr-22.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 46, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018.