Italy 1893-R 20 lire
This specimen was part of lot 6811 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), which sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Mixed Date 20 Lire, 1847-93. VERY FINE to UNCIRCULATED. Fr-21, 1142, 1146 & 1147. 7 pieces in lot. Mostly from Sardinia, but also includes a choice example from the Kingdom of Italy 1893. Some have been lightly cleaned otherwise problem free. The 1847 is toned and attractive." This date is one of a series struck 1879-97 at the Rome mint during the reign of Umberto of Italy. It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs d'or and is common.
Recorded mintage: 41,000.
Specification: 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 21.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.