Italy 1891-R 20 lire
This specimen was lot 1911 in Goldberg sale 93 (Los Angeles, September 2016), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Italy. 20 Lire, 1891-R NGC MS63 NGC MS63. Umberto I. NGC graded MS-63." This date is one of a series struck 1879-97 at the Rome mint during the reign of Umberto of Italy. It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs d'or and is common.
Recorded mintage: 23,000.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-21; KM-21.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 93: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.