Italy 1890-R 20 lire
This specimen was lot 3761 in Goldberg sale 70 (Los Angeles, September 2012), where it sold for $322. The catalog description noted, "Italy. 20 Lire, 1890-R. Umberto I. NGC graded Uncirculated, Details (Surface Hairlines)." This date is one of a series struck 1879-97 at the Rome mint during the reign of Umberto of Italy. It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs.
Recorded mintage: 68,000.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.45 g.
Catalog reference: Pag. 575, Schl. 63, Fr. 21, KM 21.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ira and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg sale 70: The Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles, CA: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2012.