Italy 1883-R 20 lire
Italy. It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs. This specimen was lot 1936 in Jean Elsen sale 134 (Brussels, September 2017), where it sold for €185 (about US$261 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"ITALIE, Royaume, Umberto Ier (1878-1900), AV 20 lire, 1883R, Rome. presque Fleur de Coin. (kingdom of Italy, Umberto I, 1878-1900, gold twenty lire of 1883, Rome mint, about uncirculated.)"
Recorded mintage: 182,280, a common date.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 21, Mont-18; Fr-21.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Elsen, Philippe, et al., Vente Publique 134, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses Fils S.A., 2017