Italy 1873-M BN 20 lire
This specimen was lot 22604 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $258.50. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. 20 Lire, 1873M-BN. NGC MS-62. Sharply struck with soft satin luster." It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs. This type was struck in Turin (1861-70), Rome (1870-78) and Milan (1872-74) during the reign of Victorio Emanuele II of Italy (1861-78).
Recorded mintage: 1,018,000.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-13; KM-10.3.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.