Italy 1871-R 20 lire
"20 Lire 1871. Rom Gutes vorzüglich. (kingdom of Italy, Victor Emanuel II, twenty lire of 1871, Rome mint, good extremely fine.)"The second specimen was lot 1489 in Sincona sale 38 (Zurich, May 2017), where it sold for 450 CHF (about US$540 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"Vittorio Emanuele II. 1859-1878 20 Lire 1871 R. Roma Selten. Fast FDC. (kingdom of Italy, Victor Emanuel II, 1859-78, twenty lire of 1871, Rome mint. Rare, About uncirculated.)"It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs. This type was struck in Turin (1861-70), Rome (1870-78) and Milan (1872-74) during the reign of Victorio Emanuele II of Italy (1861-78).
Recorded mintage: 23,500 (a very scarce date).
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW, both specimens 6.45 g.
Catalog reference: Nomisma 859. Pag. 466. Schl. 27. Fr-12, KM 10.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals, & Banknotes: Auction 18, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2014.