Italy 1810-M 40 lire
This specimen was lot 33308 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $528. The catalog description noted, "Kingdom of Napoleon. Napoleon gold 40 Lire 1810/09-M XF40 NGC, Milan mint. 1810/09 overdate. Napoleon as Emperor and King of Italy, with hints of original surfaces glinting around the legends and central devices." This coin was struck in Milan for Napoleon's kingdom of Italy which lasted 1804-1814. The forty-lire piece matched the French forty francs and was struck in limited numbers 1807-14. Its smaller sister, the twenty lire piece, is much less often encountered. The silver five lire was struck in Milan, Venice and Bologna.
Recorded mintage: 157,750.
Specification: 12.90 g, .900 fine gold, .373 troy oz AGW, lettered edge, 26 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Gig-75 (regular date), Gig-75a (overdate), KM 12.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.