Italian Somaliland 1925-R 10 lire
"SOMALIE ITALIENNE, Victor Emmanuel III (1900-1946), AR 10 lire, 1925R. Superbe. (Italian Somalia, Victor Emanuel III, 1900-46, silver 10 lire of 1925, extremely fine.)"The second specimen was lot 43343 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $870. The catalog description noted, "ITALIAN SOMALILAND. 10 Lire, 1925-R. NGC MS-63. A popular Italian Colonial issue with lustrous surfaces that are very lightly toned. From the Collection of Dr. James Eustace Bizzell, II." Prior to 1921, coinage for Italy's colony in Africa was based on the rupee of British India. This one year type was accompanied by a silver five lire. Surprisingly, it contained more silver than the contemporary ten lire current in Italy proper. Both issues are rather scarce.
Recorded mintage: 100,000.
Specification: 12 g, .835 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 8, M. 478; Gig-32.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Elsen, Philippe, et al., Vente Publique 138, Collection A. BLONDEL, Collection M. HENDRICKX, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses Fils, S.A., 2018.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.