Hupeh No Date (1902-05) 10 cash Y-122.1
Hupeh Province is located in east-central China. The mint was active from the early Manchu dynasty, and adapted for modern coin mintage in 1895.
The specimen shown was lot 21290 in Stack's Bowers April 2012 Hong Kong Auction (Sale #165), where it sold for $777. The catalog description noted, “Lot #21290. CHINA. Hupeh. 10 Cash, ND (ca. 1902-05). 湖北省造光緒元寶十文。Second character in legend smaller. 小北。NGC MS-63 RB. Ex: A.M. Tracey Woodward Collection. Frank Robinson Collection.”
Recorded mintage: 4,475,000.
Catalog reference: Y-122.1; Hsu-195; CCC-88; Duan-0254.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Kann, Eduard. Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Coins, Vol. 1 of 3. Bronx, NY: Ishi Press International, 2006.
- Lin Gwo Ming, Illustrated Catalogue of Chinese Gold & Silver Coins: Ching and Republican Issues, Seventh Edition, Hong Kong: Ma Tak Wo Numismatic Co., Ltd., 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The April 2012 Hong Kong Auction, Sale #165, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- (1902-05) 10 cash Y-120a.3
- (1902-05) 10 cash Y-120a.4
- (1902-1905) 10 cash Y-122
- (1895-1905) 5 cents Y-123
- (1895-1907) 10 cents Y-124.1
- (1895-07) 20 cents Y-125.1
- (1895-1905) 50 cents Y-126
- (1895) 1 dollar Y-127.1
- 1904 (year 30) 1 tael Y-128.2
- Coins and currency dated 1902
- return to China, Hupeh Province