Guatemala 1894-H 2 reales
The first specimen was lot 29842 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "Republic Proof 2 Reales 1894-H SP67 PCGS, Heaton mint. A Superb Gem example of this very scarce Proof issue as expected from the eye-catching designation, showing pristine and practically flawless surfaces with delicate apricot toning hues. Basically as close to perfection as one can expect for this type and a wonderful opportunity for the numismatic connoisseur. Visually stunning and very rare in this select quality. From The Santa Maria Collection." The second specimen was part of lot 30420 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Chicago, August 2015), which for $5,875. The catalog description noted, "GUATEMALA. Six Piece Proof Set, 1894-H. Heaton Mint. KM-162; 165; 166; 167; 168.1; 210. 6 pieces in set. Includes: 1 Peso and 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2 & 4 Reales. Nicely matched proof set in the following grades beginning with the 1/4 Real: PROOF-66, 65, 67, 64, 63, & 63. The three smaller denominations with toning, and the 1 Real in particular being quite beautifully toned. Balance mostly white with highly reflective fields. A real catch for the specialist in Guatemalan coinage." This type was struck in Guatemala and at Heaton 1894-99 and is common tho the proofs are rare.
Recorded mintage: 900,000.
Specification: 6.2 g, .835 fine silver, .166 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 167.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2015 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2015.
- 1894 ¼ real
- 1894-H ¼ real
- 1894-H ½ real
- 1894-H real
- 1894-H 4 reales
- Guatemala 1894-H peso
- Guatemala (1894) peso c/s on 1854 Chile peso
- Guatemala (1894) Peso c/s on 1879 Chile peso
- Guatemala (1894) Peso c/s on 1891 Peru sol
- 1894 5 pesos pattern
- 1898 2 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1894
- return to coins of Guatemala