Guatemala 1818-NG M real
The first specimen shown was lot 1211 in Sedwick sale 11 (Winter Park, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $281.75. The catalog description noted, "Guatemala, bust 1 real, Ferdinand VII, 1818M. Choice Mint State, highly lustrous, with centers and parts of rims weak (as made)." The second specimen was lot 6671 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $352.50. The catalog description noted, "GUATEMALA. Real, 1818-NG M. NGC MS-66. An absolute stunner of a silver minor with bright steely surfaces to the fields giving a very mild cameo contrast to the frostier devices. Utterly without flaw or signs of handling this piece positively sets the bar for what minors of the era can be. Brilliant and lustrous throughout with a handsome rainbow cascade in the obverse periphery with some light golden hues beginning on the reverse. The finest certified example and it is hard to imagine another example which could rival or surpass this one." In 1776, an earthquake demolished Antigua Guatemala (including the mint) and a new city was built some miles away. To mark the move, the mintmark was changed to "NG" ("Nueva Guatemala", still the capital of Guatemala) on all issues of 1777 and after. Assayer "M" is noted for the years 1785-1821. Harris notes that this type is as common as the contemporary Mexico City issue, a statement not confirmed by the author's experience, tho this type is much more available than preceding types.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .896 fine silver, .097 troy oz ASW, this specimen 3.4 grams.
Catalog reference: KM-66; Cal-Type 319 #1121.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Krause, Chester L, and Clifford Mishler, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 3rd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1996.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 11, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.