Guatemala 1817-NG M 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 3029 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $8,050. The catalog description noted, "1817 M 2 escudos. Nueva Guatemala mint. MS-63 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous orange gold with some deeper toning and remarkable eye appeal. A beautiful coin, firmly struck and nicely detailed. While this date is included in sales of some advanced collections (like Norweb), it is more often missing and almost never found in such a remarkable state of preservation. This is probably the coin from the February 1935 Newcomer sale, unplated but called 'Mint State. Rare.' From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." The type was struck 1808, 1811 and 1817 with all dates recorded as rare in the SCWC.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .875 fine gold, .190 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 6.78 grams, 22.80 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-16257, Fr-24, KM 70.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.