Guatemala 1808-NG M real
This specimen was lot 6663 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $305.50. The catalog description noted, "GUATEMALA. Real, 1808-M. NGC MS-61. RARE. Features the bust and titles of Ferdinand VII. Lustrous and thoroughly attractive with light peripheral toning. The only example at this numeric grade with just one example certified finer (MS-62)." Shown is an 1808 one real from the Nueva Guatemala mint, of a type struck 1808-21. In 1776, an earthquake demolished Antigua Guatemala (including the mint) and a new city was built some miles away. To mark the move, the mintmark was changed to "NG" ("Nueva Guatemala", still the capital of Guatemala) on all issues of 1777 and after. Assayer "M" is noted for the years 1785-1821. This type is common but this date is rare. This "standard" bust of the king was not created until 1811, so this is a backdated issue.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 grams, .896 fine silver, .097 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-66; Cal-Type 318#1113.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- 1804 real
- 1808 ¼ real
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 1/2 real bust of Charles IV
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 2 reales KM-62 bust of Charles IV
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 2 reales KM-67 bust of Ferdinand VII
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 4 reales bust of Charles IV
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 8 reales KM 64 bust of Charles IV
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 8 reales KM-69 bust Ferdinand VII
- Guatemala 1808-NG M 8 escudos
- 1809 real
- Coins and currency dated 1808
- return to coins of Guatemala