Guatemala 1787-NG M 8 reales
"Guatemala. 8 Reales, 1787 NG-M (Nueva Guatemala). Charles III, 1759-1788. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Charles III right. Reverse: Reverse: Crowned Bourbon arms, flanked by bannered pillars. The strike is extraordinarily complete. Devices matte to glossy, on mirrored fields. Rare, even more so in this state of preservation. Considered possibly the finest known. NGC graded MS-64 Prooflike. Guatemala was the hub of the Mayan civilization. The main temple area, Tikal is one of the ancient wonders of the world. Located less than 60 miles from the border with Belize, it is a major tourist attraction. It has also become a national park of Guatemala and a UNESCO world heritage site. Provenance: Ex Calbeto plate coin."
The second specimen was lot 20465 in Ponterio sale 161 (Chicago, August 2011), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "GUATEMALA. 8 Reales, 1787-M. EXTREMELY RARE Mint State Guatemalan Portrait 8 Reales of Charles III. EXTREMELY RARE. A small hoard of mint state examples of this date, which consisted of only a few pieces was discovered around 1960. They rarely appear back on the market as the group has long since been dispersed among the collecting community. If it were not for this small group, this type would be virtually unobtainable in mint state. NGC MS-61."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 silver, .780 troy oz ASW; this specimen: 26.88 grams.
Catalog reference: FC-33(R6); Eliz-41; WR-6; KM 36.2a.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Ponterio, Rick, et al., Ponterio sale 161: The Chicago ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's-Bowers, LLC, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.