Guatemala 1768-G 8 escudos
"1768 8 escudos. Guatemala mint. AU-50 (NGC). Types as above. Medium yellow gold with good lustre on slightly reflective surfaces. Nicely struck for the type, especially bold portrait, lovely eye appeal. Mintmarks nearly intact at the base of the reverse; the Calico plate shows a coin with an x scratch off the nose and the mintmarks half off the rim. Calico calls this date 'pocos ejemplares conocidos' (only a few specimens known), and Holland Wallace reports a mintage of just 855 pieces. A specimen of similar quality brought $34,000 in the March 1988 Stack's sale on an estimate of $7,500-8,500. The present example would be a centerpiece in an advanced collections of onzas by type and mint. From B. Max Mehl’s sale of the Thomas W. Voetter Collection, January 1943, Lot 156."
This specimen appeared again as lot 51936 in Heritage Auction Galleries sale 3000 (Long Beach, May 2008), where it sold for $103,500. This type was struck 1765, 1768 and 1770 only and all the listed dates are noted as rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 26.99 grams, 36.10 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12790, Fr-9, Calico Onza-666, KM 31.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.