Guatemala 1764-G P 2 reales
"Colonial G & NG types 1663 -1819, Crown Revalidation of 1663 is exceptionally clear and bold on an UN-holed Potosi cob 2 Reales of the assayer TR type (from about 20 years before the countermark was applied a thousand miles away). Although decades of wear is readily apparent, this is attractive and a numismatic treasure. Of the non-round style (formerly labeled "cobs" prior to the superb volume by Carlos Jara) are 2 Reales of 1738, 1740 (holed) and 1752 (holed) plus a 4 Reales of 1752 (holed host also has a clear sun-over-3-mountains revalidation stamp). Pillar type 2 Reales are dated 1758 and 1764 thus covering both kings; the Ferdinand piece has an acceptable front side but worn behind yet it is NOT holed while the Carlos is holed but otherwise quite superior for this rarer date. Real busts (5) include 1772, 1776 (mintmark G), 1799, 1816 & 1819. Bust 2 Reales again begin with the Antigua issue of 1772 (two examples) followed by 1794, 1804 and 1819. Total of 17 coins. Quality is typical for widely circulated examples of the included types of the era; some may be choice for the type while others exhibit various typical small flaws (four as noted do have holes)."
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date. Most collectors disdain holed coins but collectors of Guatemalan pillar minors have little choice.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, 0.917 fine silver, 0.1995 oz ASW.
Catalog reference: G-2-12, KM 25.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala, Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints, 1752-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2018.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Eighteenth Century 1701-1800, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Robinson, Charles, The Coins of Central America, 1733-1965, San Benito, TX: 1965.