Guatemala 1763-G P 2 reales
This specimen was lot 23119 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $110. The catalog description noted, "GUATEMALA. 2 Reales, 1763-P. Charles III (1759-88). PCGS Genuine--Holed, VF Details Secure Holder. Incredibly attractive despite the hole with bright blue and lime-green tone that highlights wholesome surfaces. Worthy of a close look!" Most collectors disdain holed coins but collectors of Guatemalan pillar minors have little choice.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, 0.917 fine silver, 0.1995 oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-25; Gil-G-2-11.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala, Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints, 1752-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2018.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Eighteenth Century 1701-1800, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Robinson, Charles, The Coins of Central America, 1733-1965, San Benito, TX: 1965.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.