Guatemala 1760-G P 4 reales KM-17.1
This specimen was lot 1434 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 21 (Winter Park, FL, May 2017), where it sold for $282. The catalog description noted, "Guatemala, pillar 4 reales, Ferdinand VI, 1760P, ex-Richard Stuart. Bold VF+ with lots of small marks, nice toning (dark at date). Pedigreed to the Richard Stuart collection." Shown is a 1759 four reales from the Guatemala mint, of a type issued 1754-60. All pillar coinage from Guatemala is scarce and many issues are rare. Gilboy notes this date as "R" or "rare," indicating that less than 100 specimens exist. Assayer "P" is noted for the years 1759-85. Unlike the other colonial mints, Guatemala seems to have issued more four reales than any other denomination. Gilboy marks the half, one and two reales as "rare" and the eight reales as "scarce" to "normal." None are marked as common. Guatemala issues are notably cruder than other mints.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine silver, .399 troy oz ASW, this specimen 13.28 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10538, G-4-8, CT-405; KM-17.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 2, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sedwick, Daniel F., Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction #21, featuring Selections from the Richard Stuart Collection, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC, 2017.