Guatemala 1758-G J 8 reales
Shown is a variety of the 1758 eight reales from the Guatemala mint, of a type issued 1754-60. All pillar coinage from Guatemala is scarce and many issues are rare. Gilboy notes this particular variety as "R" or "rare". Unlike the other colonial mints, Guatemala seems to have issued more four reales than any other denomination. Gilboy marks the half, one and two reales as "rare" and the eight reales as "scarce" to "normal." None are marked as common. Guatemala issues are notably cruder than other mints. The variety shown has a barred "N" in FERDIND (indicating the abbreviation in the kings' name), and lacks an abacus atop the two lateral columns to each side of the globes.The second specimen was lot 180 in Aureo y Calico sale 232 (Barcelona, March 2011), where it sold for 550 euros (about $907 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"Fernando VI (1746-1759). 1758. Guatemala. J. 8 reales. Columnario. Buen ejemplar. Rara y más así. EBC-. (Ferdinand VI, 1746-59, 1758 eight reales of Guatemala, pillar type, nice example and rare thus, nearly extremely fine)."The third specimen was lot 73 in Aureo & Calicó sale 238 (Barcelona, November 2011), where it sold for 840 euro (about US$1,332 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"1758. Guatemala. J. 8 reales. Columnario. Brillo original. Muy rara así. EBC/EBC-. (eight reales of 1758, Guatemala mint, pillar type. Mint luster, very rare thus, extremely fine.)"
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, 0.917 fine silver, 0.798 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10625, Cal. 293, G-8-5b, KM 18.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala, Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints, 1752-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2018.
- Sisó, Teresa, Eduardo Domingo and Lluís Lalana, Selección de 500 Monedas, Medallas y Billetes, Barcelona: Aureo y Calicó Subastas, 2011.
- Sisó, Teresa, Eduardo Domingo and Lluís Lalana, Subasta Colleción Leunda, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó Subastas Numismáticas, 2011.