Guatemala 1756-G J 8 escudos
"1756 J 8 escudos. Guatemala mint. EF-45 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous orange gold with deeper coppery toning and some reflectivity toward the rims, particularly on the reverse. Exceptional lustre for this assigned grade, with the reverse retaining nearly complete lustre. Fine scattered surface marks, some granularity at central obverse. Short die crack exends outward from king's throat. A completely unpublished and unlisted date, once listed in Calico as 'reported, not confirmed' but completely omitted from the new 2004 edition. The KM work also omits this date. We know of no previous auction records for this date from any era. For advanced collectors of Guatemala, this discovery among the rarities in the Eliasberg collection presents a possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. A coin of remarkable importance. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
This type is recorded in the SCWC as being struck 1757 only.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 26.87 grams, 36.70 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10894, Fr-6, KM 21 (unlisted date).
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.