Guatemala 1755-G J 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 1060 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 27 (Winter Park, FL, May 2020), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Guatemala, gold bust 8 escudos, Ferdinand VI, 1755J, very rare, NGC VF 30, ex-Richard Stuart. Typically weak centers due to high relief of bust, with lots of minor marks and high-point wear commensurate with the grade but no problems, mostly nice rims, rare and desirable type of which this date is the only one that tends to appear. NGC #4446203-001. Pedigreed to the Richard Stuart collection (with special NGC label)." This type was struck 1754-55 only and both dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10889, KM-19; Cal-752.
- Robinson, Charles, The Coins of Central America, 1733-1965, San Benito, TX: 1965.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 27, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.