Guatemala 1754-G J 8 escudos
"1754 J 8 escudos. Guatemala mint. EF-45 (NGC). Draped and armored bust of Fernando VI to right, legends around, date below/crowned arms, garter around, legends around garter. Exceptional deep yellow gold with toned coppery highlights inside rims, significant lustre in protected ares, light scattered hairlines, vertical nick in lower right obverse field. An excellent example of this very rare date, the first of this type to be issued by the mint at Guatemala. Finer than the Norweb coin, missing from the Iovino sale (which did not include an example of any date of this type). Calico noted that only a few specimens were known and used the plate from the 1985 Norweb sale as the most recent illustration they could find. Certainly one of the very finest known of this very important and extremely rare issue. From Stack's sale of the Col. James W. Flanagan Collection, March 1944, Lot 349."This type was struck 1754-55 only and both dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 26.93 grams, 36.70 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10884, Fr-4, Calico Onza-551, KM 19.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.