Great Britain 1989 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 70758 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, May 2018), where it sold for $312. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Sovereign, 1989. PCGS PROOF-68 DEEP CAMEO Secure Holder. The queen seated in King Edward's Chair holding orb and scepter. Reverse: Crowned arms on double rose. Brilliant with hard mirror fields and frosted cameo devices." This one year type replaced the regular half sovereign for the year. It was accompanied by a sovereign (Fr-434) and gold two pounds (Fr-433).
Recorded mintage: est. 25,000 proofs.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .1176 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-435; S-4277; KM-955.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The May 2018 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.